Wednesday, February 16, 2011

China Stories (by featured writer Terry Creamer)

Look for Terry C/ T Creams/ Terrence/ Red to be a semi-regular contributor to ITPWAC from now on. Here are some of his thoughts on his experience in China last semester:


Here is a blog post from my China blog. I made this one a tad more college and a little less family. I put a leash on my language in the blog cause my Mom was reading it.

 --------------Guilin, Guangxi, China. 

Just wow. Amazing place. Stories...

After kayaking to a river boat restaurant for lunch I didn't plan on watching them kill and gut our fish right there in front of us. A few slams of the fish on the ground, some thumps on the head, gut, cook, spice, and cook in beer to your liking, and that's how Guilin does 20 minute "beerfish". And if we had another hour we could've gotten our choice of the chickens running around the boat and dock. Prepared the same way. Yeah. That's called "hardcore" in America. But really, that's just "China".

Yangshou (spelling?) is basically the quaint bar town of Guilin. Absolutely fantastic tourist spot. http://www.painetworks.com/photos/ig/ig2591.JPG (this is a link to a picture of I believe Yangshou.) With such scenery in a bar town with my college friends I was not surprised to find myself awake late at night decently wasted with the munchies. I wasn't about to walk to try and walk to McDonald's, get lost, and become a sex slave or rice farmer. But God heard me, and he wanted to live vicariously through a double Cheeseburger craving. Next thing I know a Chinaman pulls up on his motorcycle outside our hotel where I am standing making my decision. Potential kidnapping aside, a "McDonalds" in Chinese and an exchange of 10 kuai ($1.30) has me sitting on the back of the bike with us racing along side streets to the glorious golden arches. He waits outside for me to order, I hop back on the bike and he brings me back to the hotel. And I still have my kidneys.

What would you do for the munchies?---------

No comments:

Post a Comment