Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Abod's NCAA Musings



Hey everyone how are you doing.  For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Alex (commonly known as Abod).  I know Chuck from high school, and we have both started blogging.  I do mine to productively kill time, and because I enjoy assessing college basketball.  Most of my submissions to Chuck will be about NCAA Men’s basketball, with an occasional off topic here or there.  It is at this point I should inform you all that I am a diehard Syracuse fan.  I bleed Orange and Blue.  So a majority of my posts will contain a large dose of SU basketball.  I am just warning you all, I may get vulgar.  Just a heads up. 
Anyone who reads this, feedback is much appreciated.  Either directly to me (Alex Boduch on Facebook, send me a message or something along those lines, Alexander.boduch@gmail.com via email), or through Chuck.  I appreciate peoples feedback.  If you think my writing sucks, feel free to tell me that.  If you love what I’m writing, let me know that.  If you think I’m a moron who is out of his mind, I will appreciate that as well.  Anyone, enough of this intro, if you want to get to know me better, ladies, I’ll take you to dinner.  Guys, we can go get pitchers of beers and bond over a nectar of the gods.  So, onto my first post for Chuck:
The new NCAA rankings came out this week (surprise right?).  Anyway, I was looking at the polls, and one thing really irritates me.  There are two equally respected polls, but how do we know which one to base our “rankings” on?  So, I decided to solve this problem, by creating “The Abod College Basketball Rankings.”  To sum it up in short, I take a teams ranking from ESPN/ USA Today, and combine it with the ranking from the AP Poll.  When two teams end up with the same number of points, I award the higher of the two rankings to the team that had the greatest positive change.  If by some chance they both move up, I pick which team I like better.   This is an imperfect formula for now, and I hope to honestly have a good one in place by the end of the season.  So, I now present to you, the first segment of “The Abod College Basketball Rankings:”
1.)   Kansas
2.)   Texas
3.)   The Ohio State University
4.)   Pittsburgh
5.)   Duke
6.)   San Diego State University
7.)   Notre Dame
8.)   Brigham Young University
9.)   Georgetown
10.) Wisconsin
11.) Purdue
12.) Arizona
13.) Connecticut
14.)Villanova
15.)  Florida
16.)  Louisville
17.) Vanderbilt
18.) Syracuse
19.)  North Carolina
20.) Missouri
21.) Texas A&M
22.) Kentucky
23.) Temple
24.) Utah State
25.) Saint Mary’s
Also, writing this got me thinking.  So far I have referred to myself a handful of times in the third person.  For any person who went to middle school with me, do you remember Miss Carolla, the stunningly attractive 6th Grade English teacher who used to talk to in the third person?  All I learned from that class was how awful it sounds to actually speak in the third person. 
So, this blog is going out to Big 10 Nation.  This is a groundbreaking moment for me, because outside of reading the Club Tril blog (Yes, tOSU fans, even us clowns in the Big East read it), I don’t have much exposure to Big 10 Basketball.  Things I can confirm about the Big 10:
1.)   They have their own tv network, and it is CONSTANTLY showing gymnastics- this isn’t a bad thing, I am in no way complaining about this. 
2.)   Tom Izzo is a great coach- and here come the emails asking me what drug I’m on, and telling me how bad of a coach Izzo is.  Just saying.
3.)   Trevor Mbakwe from Minnesota is AWESOME- I’m sure I spelled his last name wrong.  Kids a player. Not that I’m not impressed with Sullinger, cause hes a player, but at this point, nothing he does surprises me.  Mbakwe had like 37 or something the other night I believe it was. 
4.)   You don’t get hated on by the commentators.   A small list of people who hate on the Big East: Dick Vitale (still love him), Doug Gottelieb (steal some more comps you punk), and the other goon whose name currently escapes me. 
Alright, that’s enough out of me for one day.  So until next time, I hope you enjoyed it, and I appreciate any and all feedback you might give.  GO ORANGE!!

to read more of Abod's thoughts, check out theabodblog.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment